Saturday, November 15, 2008

Sweater Curse

It is well-known in knitting circles that nothing will doom a relationship faster than knitting a sweater for your man. If you are already married/partnered, or at least engaged, then you're probably okay. But if you are not, then it doesn't matter how long you've been together, or how strong your relationship is, as soon as you cast on to start the sweater, you've sent your relationship on a downward spiral from which it will never recover.

We don't know WHY this happens, but we don't question it or challenge it. If a relationship can survive a sweater, it's built to last.

As it happens, I do not have a significant other for whom to knit. Last night, I went on the first date I've had in months. While I enjoyed it a great deal, I didn't start going through my yarn stash or patterns in my mind. I'm not opposed to entering into a relationship right now, but I'm not seeking it out. And I'm certainly not going to test it by knitting.

However, I've learned that, at least for the gay boys, the sweater curse can be circumvented. The way to do this is to knit for yourself. And, if your paramour happens to get a lot of use out of the sweater, well, didn't you go into the relationship at least partly to double your wardrobe?

Okay, I'm kidding. Sort of.


"My boyfriend knit this for me, you bitch!"

2 comments:

Jómy said...

Well, the sweater curse, I think, is most true if the person who did the knitting is prone to be ... vocal about being insulted about the recipient not wearing the crap out of the sweater, showering them with praise for their work, and all that stuff.

hahaha, just hope you don't knit for anyone much bigger or smaller than you...
or someone with especially different style from you. XD

Lynne said...

Dude, you are hilarious. I'm thinking of making Cobblestone for the person I'm currently smitten with. Maybe the curse only applies to straight folk?