Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mass TransKnit

Since knitting on public transportation is sort of how I got started on this journey, I figured I should talk about it a little more.

So far, I've found that the best thing to knit, especially on a crowded train ride home, is socks. Because I can use short, circular needles, which means there's no awkwardness with whomever may be sitting next to me. And most sock patterns are generally turn into a mindless repetition soon enough, meaning I don't have to fully engage. Lately, I've been knitting this guy:


The sock is super thick, incidentally. And the little dude from Nightmare Before Christmas clearly approves, as you can see.

I finished that sock last night. However, I was running late this morning, and didn't have time to grab the second ball for the second sock. So, on the way home, I had to settle for my project du jour, which is my diagonal striped scarf.


It's going to have to be much longer, obviously.

The problem with that scarf, for public transit purposes, is that the needles are 13" long. This generally requires more of a wingspan than one can usually score on a rush hour train downtown. I have managed to convert my knitting in such a way that I can usually avoid disrupting my seatmate, but all the same, I think I'd prefer socks on shorter needles.

Unless I someday manage to have a cute guy sitting next to me. Then I might have to rethink my strategy...and hope he's amenable to being disrupted by silk-wool yarn blends.

2 comments:

Christine (Rainy Day Reads) said...

That is some beautiful yarn!

Jómy said...

ooooooh the Noro is soooo niceeeee.
Pricey stuff, though, dude.

What do you carry your knitting around in? Lately I've just been using grocery bags, but that doesn't make a statement that I like... one that isn't kind of... transvestite-y. :P