Friday, October 17, 2008

My Tenets of Knitting

Kinda like tenets of faith, except it's nothing like that at all.

Basically, I think it would be prudent for me to tell you folks about me as a knitter, so if reading my blog turns out to be a disappointment for you, it's your own damn fault.

1) Knitting is a hobby for me. It does not pay my bills, and it fulfills no known life requirements. Therefore, I am rarely in a compelling situation to finish a given project, except for my own personal satisfaction.

2) I am fickle knitter. While I have never permanently quit a project, I do tend to start projects whenever the mood strikes me, without giving much thought to other works-in-progress waiting for my attention. Basically, I knit whatever I please, whenever I please.

3) I am not seeking to make any sort of living as a knitter. I am not Franklin (who, by the way, is fabulous) or Jared (who I would love to meet one day). I do not intend to write books, create drawings, or design patterns. While that could change, and I might one day write a book or design a pattern, my yarny goodness will never be my day job.

4) For all of the above reasons, I am generally loathe to agree to knit something for someone.

5) I tend to buy yarn that is moderate-to-expensive in price. I'm a MAJOR fan of all Noro yarns, and also love using Hacho by Mirasol for socks. I do not care for Lambs Pride, as I find it quite itchy. I do not knit with acrylic. Not even as a joke.

6) I usually buy my yarn locally. This is for two reasons. First, I get to feel that whole I'm-supporting-local-business vibe. Second, and more importantly, I have had the unfortunate experience of ordering yarn online, only to discover that the yarn or color wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be. I only by yarn online if I already know the yarn and the colorway (e.g. Noro Kureyon Color 182), and it's a deal that can't be resisted. My LYS (Local Yarn Shop) of choice is Loopy Yarns.

I think that's it, but then, I am a fickle knitter (see #2), so I reserve the right to add or subtract from this list as I see fit.

No comments: